Lanark Golf Club was established on the 4th of October 1851 making it the world’s oldest ‘inland’ course and the 25th oldest golf club in the world. At that time the course comprised only six holes, set out on the Common Moor, then owned by the Royal Burgh of Lanark. Unlike many of the early golf clubs the location of the course has never changed and golf has now been played on The Moor for over 170 years.
In 1897 at a cost of £3 and 10 shillings (£3.50), Tom Morris (Snr) was employed to lay out 18 holes and in 1927 James Braid supervised the construction of several new holes to produce the basic layout which, with the exception of longer tees and modern bunkering, remains largely unchanged to this day. Testament indeed to the skill of these famous course architects.
Lanark is often compared favourably with the King’s course at Gleneagles, offering a similar moorland challenge set in wonderful scenic countryside. It is thought that the Caledonian Railway Company decided, only on the casting vote of its chairman, to build its world famous hotel at Gleneagles rather than Lanark.